30.11.09

Handmaids

"Every night when I go to bed I think, In the morning I will wake up in my own house and things will be back the way they were. It hasn't happened this evening either.

When in doubt, when flat on your back, you can look at the ceiling. Who knows what you may see, up there? Funeral wreaths and angels, constellations of dust, stellar or otherwise, the puzzles left by spiders. There's always something to occupy the inquiring mind. 

The three bodies hang there, even with the white sacks over their heads looking curiously stretched, like chickens strung up by the necks in a meatshop window; like birds with their wings clipped, like flightless birds, wrecked angels. It's hard to take your eyes off them. Beneath the hem of the dresses the feet dangle, two pairs of red shoes, one pair of blue. If it weren't for the ropes and the sacks it could be kind of a dance, a ballet, caught by flash-camera: midair. The look arranged. They look like show biz. "

- The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood. 

I guess these quotes are more meaningful in the context of the book, but I liked them and wanted to share. I think everyone should read it, it's really good. Dystopian novels ftw! 

No comments: