7.10.09

Let's make this last forever

Clutching the cold cup in my hand, I returned to where I'd been sitting, next to the bar, near the dancefloor. The place was packed. I sat up a little straighter, trying to see someone I knew and sipped my drink, nervously. 'This is what I get for having crappy friends,' I thought to myself, angry for being alone at a party on a Saturday Night. 'Definitely better than staying at home, though'. 

I was just surveying the dancing crowd when I saw her. She was also by herself. I had a sip of my drank, suddenly nervous and feeling uncomfortable in my worn out Nikes and faded tshirt. She was in the middle of the dancefloor, dancing. Wearing only a white dress and pink flip-flops, she was gorgeous. Her long brown hair was in a messy pile on top of her head, and her eyelids were covered in green glitter. The song changed and she smiled and continued to dance. 

She stomped her feet on the ground, her hips swaying, she threw her arms over her head. Her long, lithe body pulsed to the music and she jumped up and down when the chorus started. God, she was beautiful. I kept my eyes on her, drinking out of my cup. Another song started and she obviously liked it because she smiled and danced faster. I watched her for a couple of songs, enthralled by her never-ending energy. She definitely looked out of place here. All the other girls were wearing tight, shiny outfits and towered her with their clacky shoes, dancing in tight packs. But dancing by herself, not caring about what other people thought of her being there, of what she was wearing, of her lack of company, she was the only one I could watch. 

I had been in love with her as long as I can remember. I think it started on the first day of third grade. My mom had gelled my hair back and I kept touching it self-consciously, knowing that no one else would have hair like mine. I walked in and saw her. She was barefoot and wearing a stripy shirt and overalls, her messy hair in two braids. Even then, she had long, silky hair. "Hi," I had said, walking up to her. "I'm Jack." She smiled at me, showing me her small white teeth. "I'm Daisy. I'm a turtle." She had then proceeded to crawl all around the classroom at a very slow pace for the rest of they day. 9 years later and she was just as quirky and original. It wasn't like she was excluded, she just preferred being by herself than being with other people. That and her excentric wardrobe had earned her the title of "freak" and caused her to be shunned by our class. I had once confided to my friends about my crush on her and they all had said, "Yeah, she'd go out with you. If she talked to people" and then continued to mock me for the rest of our high school years. 

But high school was over now. It'd been a month since our graduation, when she had decided to go against the 'white dress' rule and had worn a colorful frilly dress and a daisy behind her ear. She hadn't stopped dancing for the past half an hour and now her tan skin was covered by a thin sheen of sweat. She smiled and threw her hands at the ceiling, bobbing her head with the beat of the song. She was electric. 

Without the company of my friends, I felt the urge to do something about the crush I'd had for the past nine years. Feeling bold, I drained my cup and left it on the bar. I approached her and she was still dancing, jumping up and down and singing along. Her back was to me and I could see the flower tattoo on her ankle. I touched her hip lightly.

"Hey," I said. She turned around, her pink lips stretching into a wide smile. 

-

I imagined this as just a description of her dancing, but things sort of lost control. In a good way. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

losing control is always good in creative writing.

for great writers that is.
(:

alangolom said...

I love this.
Very very much.

Song: "She's electric" - Oasis

Definitely got that vibe.

Gian said...

Ta. I was not planning on commenting on any of these older posts, so that i'd go by unnoticed (hehe).
But this is great!
I like her :3