11.10.09

Preliminar

"I'd always loved the part in movies when a project, or even a person's whole life, came together: the montage, set to uplifting music, where you saw the spunky multicultural kids set aside their differences and fix up the old man's house, straighten the hanging shutters, paint the outside, mow the lawn, and weed the flowerbed; or the twentysomething woman who finally lost weight, dancing through aerobics classes, moping her brow while she rode a gym bike, with a white towel around her neck, and then at last she emerged from the bathroom all cleaned up, bashful but beautiful (of course, she had no idea how beautiful), and her best friend hugged her before she left for the date or party that would be her triumph. I wanted to be that person, and I wanted the in-between time when I improved myself to glide by just that smoothly, with its own festive soundtrack." 

"Sports contained the truth, I decided, the unspoken truth (how quickly we dam ourselves when we start to talk, how small and inglorious we always sound), and it seemed hard to believe that I had never understood this before. (...) To play a great game of high school basketball - it was something I myself had never done, but I could tell - made you know what it was to be alive. How much in an adult life can compre to that? Granted, there are margaritas, or there's no homework, but there are also puffy white bagels under neon lights in the conference room, there's waiting for the plumber, making small talk with your boring neighbor." 

I reread "Prep" for probably the ninth time and each time I read it, I get that "hey, someone gets knows I mean" feeling. Only really really good authors can do that. 

PS: the name of this post is the name of the book in portuguese, but i find it kind of awkward and reminds me of foreplay. 

No comments: